- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 leeks, thoroughly cleaned and thinly sliced
- ½ pound Smart Chicken Sweet Italian sausage, removed from casings and crumbled
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups wild rice
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh marjoram
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 bunch kale, stemmed and thinly sliced
- ½ pound wild mushrooms, (such as chanterelle, shitake, crimini, or oyster), thinly sliced
Heat 2 tablespoon of the butter and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or saucepan over medium heat until hot. Add the leeks and cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes, until wilted. Add the sausage and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 more minutes until cooked through. Add the garlic and cook, continuing to stir, about 1 minute longer, until the garlic becomes aromatic.
Add the rice, thyme, marjoram and 1 teaspoon of the salt and cook and stir until the rice is coated. Add the broth and stir only once to mix, reduce the heat to very low, cover, and simmer until rice is al dente. (Cooking times will vary depending on the brand of rice, refer to package instructions for specific cook times.)
Once the rice is al dente, add the kale to the top of the rice, cover, and continue to simmer another 10 minutes until the kale is wilted, rice is fluffy, and liquid is absorbed. Remove from the heat and let rest for about 10 minutes undisturbed.
Meanwhile, melt the remaining butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until sizzling hot. Add the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Sauté until the mushrooms are tender and slightly golden around the edges.
Add the mushrooms into the rice mixture and stir to mix with the kale. Serve warm, seasoned with additional salt and pepper if desired.