White Chicken Chili
by Ariane Duarte, CulinAriane, Montclair, New Jersey
Change things up with an alternative to the classic tomato-based chili. This simple and wholesome dish will fill your home with a wonderful warmth and aroma at it simmers.
- 1 pound Great Northern white beans, rinsed
- 2 pounds boneless skinless Smart Chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 4-ounce cans chopped mild green chiles
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoons cayenne
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 12-ounce can of beer
- 3 cups grated Finlandia Swiss cheese
- Sour cream for garnish
- Salsa for garnish
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
Soak beans overnight in cold water.
Drain the beans. In a large pot, heat the vegetable oil. Add the onions and sauté over med-low heat until translucent (about 5 to 8 minutes). Stir in the garlic, green chilies, cumin, oregano, cloves and cayenne. Sauté for 2 minutes. Add beans and stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until beans are very tender, stirring occasionally, about 3 to 4 hours.
Grill the chicken and cut chicken into medium dice. Add chicken, beer and 1 cup of cheese to the soup. Serve with remaining cheese, sour cream, salsa and cilantro.
Pairing: Wine Pairing: Gewurztraminer
Beer Pairing: Pale Ale