- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup soy sauce (or gluten-free tamari)
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 star anise pod, ground into powder
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small shallot, peeled and finely minced
- 1 lime, zest and juice reserved
- 1½ pounds boneless skinless Smart Chicken breasts, sliced into strips
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (or other high-heat oil), divided
- 1 head green cabbage, julienned
- 1 leek, julienned lengthwise
- 2 carrots, peeled and julienned
- 1 small bunch kale, stems removed, julienned
- ½ bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- ½ bunch cilantro, chopped
In a medium saucepan over low, dissolve brown sugar in water. Simmer until water has evaporated and sugar caramelizes. Add soy sauce, pomegranate molasses, ginger, star anise, garlic, shallot, zest of lime and juice of half the lime. Simmer over medium heat until thickened, about 20 minutes. Do not let sauce come to a boil.
While the sauce is simmering, heat wok or large sauté pan over high heat for 5 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon oil and heat until glistening, about 30 seconds. Add chicken and brown, about 2 minutes. Flip and sear on other side for 2 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
Wipe wok with paper towel. Add 1 tablespoon oil and heat until glistening, about 30 seconds. Add cabbage, leek, carrots, and kale. Let cook undisturbed for 30 seconds, stir and cook until browned and softened, about 8 minutes. Toss in 4 tablespoons Stir-Fry Sauce. Remove from pan and set aside.
Return chicken to wok and add 2 tablespoons Stir-Fry Sauce. Heat 1 minute. Plate vegetables with chicken on top. Garnish with green onion and cilantro.