Thai-Style Chicken Skewers With Kale & Avocado Salad
by Gregory Gourdet, Chef, Departure Restaurant + Lounge, Portland, Oregon
- Chili-Lime Sauce
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup lime juice
- ¼ cup fish sauce
- 2 small red chilis, stems removed
- Kale & Avocado Salad
- 1 bunch kale, stemmed and chopped
- 2 avocados, diced large
- ½ small red onion, sliced thin
- 1 small bunch cilantro leaves
- Chili-Lime Sauce (recipe above)
- Salt, to taste
- Olive oil, to taste
- Chicken Skewers
- 1½ pounds ground Smart Chicken
- 3 tablespoons minced ginger
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- ¼ cup scallions, sliced thin
- ½ tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chili-garlic sauce*
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ cup Chili-Lime Sauce (recipe above)
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
Combine all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth.
Kale & Avocado Salad
Dress kale with a little salt and a light dressing of Chili Lime Sauce. Toss with avocado and red onion. Season with a bit more salt. Finish with cilantro and a drizzle of olive oil.
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Combine first 7 ingredients and mix very well to break down meat and make tender and smooth. Add Chili-Lime Sauce and cilantro and mix well. Weigh meat mixture into 3-ounce portions, or divide into 8 portions. Shape each portion into a rectangle on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Stick a flat skewer into each patty and bake for 3 minutes. Let cool briefly. Brush a little oil on both sides of the chicken and carefully transfer to a hot grill. Grill both sides until cooked through and golden. Baste with some Chili-Lime Sauce during last moments on the grill. Serve with salad. Enjoy!
Pairing: IPA, Viognier, or margaritas.
*Chili-garlic sauce is available in the ethnic foods aisle of most grocery stores, or in Asian food markets.