by Terri Rees, Culinary Instructor & Caterer
Double this recipe and freeze the additional loaf for a pop-in-the-oven weeknight dinner. Be sure to save the leftovers—if there are any—for next-day meatloaf sandwiches.
- 2 pounds ground Smart Chicken
- ½ cup Vidalia or sweet onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Dijon or brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 sleeve Ritz crackers, crushed
- 1 egg
- Topping (optional)
- ½ to 1 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons sugar
Preheat oven to 375°F.
In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Coat two small loaf pans or one large loaf pan with non-stick spray, then transfer the mixture to the pan(s).
Bake until the internal temperature of the meatloaf registers 165°F on an instant-read thermometer, (about 40 minutes for small loaves, and 50 to 60 minutes for large). About half way through cooking, spread 1 cup ketchup and sprinkle 3 tablespoons of sugar on top, if desired. This will make a sweet and tangy crust!
Serve with coleslaw, smashed redskins, or baked potatoes.