For convenience, use a Japanese mandolin (available at most Asian markets) to julienne the vegetables for this fresh summer slaw. You can use most any summer squash here, and the cut makes the vegetable so delicate that no cooking is required. For something unique, try adding beets, apples, parsnips, sweet potatoes, or cucumbers to the mix.
- 2 medium zucchini, ends removed, julienned
- 2 yellow summer squash, ends removed, julienned
- 2 carrots, peeled and julienned
- 1 broccoli stem, peeled and julienned
- 4 scallions (white and green parts), julienned
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- ½ cup Sweet & Tart Dressing (recipe follows), plus more to taste
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
In a large bowl, combine the zucchini, yellow squash, carrots, broccoli, scallions, and parsley, and dressing. Season with salt and pepper and toss to mix. Taste for seasoning, adding more dressing if desired. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Sweet & Tart Dressing
- ½ cup distilled white vinegar
- ½ cup apple cider
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
In a jar with a sealable lid, combine, vinegar, cider, sugar, salt, and pepper. Cover and shake until sugar dissolves.