Spring Eggs Benedict
by Benjamin Maides, Chef, Au Courant Regional Kitchen, Omaha, Nebraska
- 1 package Sweet Apple Organic Smart Chicken sausage
- 8 ounces fresh morel mushrooms (substitute your favorite mushroom), washed and split
- 2 tablespoons butter, plus 2 tablespoons for grilling English muffins
- 1 cup fresh ramps (substitute any spring onion), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup clarified butter*
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 16 eggs (12 whole, 4 yolks)
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 package English muffins (6 muffins)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
*To clarify butter: Melt butter in a sauce pan over low heat. Skim the foam that rises to the top and discard. Let butter cool for five minutes. Cover a mesh strainer with cheesecloth and position over a heat safe bowl. Pour butter through mesh strainer. Refrigerate until ready to use.
In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, sauté the mushrooms with 2 tablespoons of butter. Season with salt and pepper and sauté for about 3 minutes. Add the ramps and sauté until soft. Set aside. Warm the clarified butter until liquefied and warm, but not hot. In a blender, add the lemon juice, sherry vinegar, 1 t salt, and cayenne and 4 yolks. Blend for about 2 minutes on high. Reduce blender speed and slowly drizzle in the clarified butter to form an emulsion. If it gets too thick, just add a bit of warm water. Set aside until ready to serve.
To poach the eggs, bring a sauce pan filled with water to a boil. Turn down the head and let the water come to a brisk simmer. One by one, crack the eggs into a small cup and gently place the eggs into the water. Add the white vinegar to the water. Cook eggs for around 5 minutes, until the whites are somewhat firm. Remove the eggs with a slotted spoon.
Split the sausage lengthwise, then cut in half. Sear the sausage in a sauté pan until slightly brown. Spread remaining butter on the English muffins and toast in a pan or on a griddle.
To assemble, top each half muffin with morels and ramps, a piece of sausage, and a poached egg. Drizzle the hollandaise sauce over the top.