Smart Chicken Burgers
by Sally Hillis, R.D., Hillis & Company, Lincoln, Nebraska
Low in fat and sodium, these burgers are flavorful and healthy. They are simple to prepare, but allow time for the ingredients to be mixed together and refrigerated before cooking to allow the many flavors to blend and saturate the chicken. You’ll find the burgers have a rich flavor that can accompany just about any side dish.
- 2 pounds ground Smart Chicken
- 2 cups cooked white rice, cooled
- 1/2 cup green onion, leek, or shallot finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary or tarragon or basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
Mix all ingredients together. Refrigerate two hours or overnight. Shape into 4 inch diameter patties, 3/4 inch thick.
To bake: Preheat oven to 375ºF. Bake on parchment paper for six minutes, then flip and bake for an additional six minutes or until internal temperature is 165ºF.
To grill: Preheat grill to 350ºF. Spray grill with Canola oil so burgers don’t stick. Grill burgers three to four minutes each side or until internal temperature reaches 165ºF.
To pan-fry: Preheat nonstick skillet to medium heat. Cook five minutes, then flip and turn heat to low and cook until internal temperature reaches 165ºF. Take care not to overcook.
This is a great recipe for children. It’s healthy and delicious! It’s also gluten free. It’s great served on grilled bread topped with aoli sauce.
Pairing: This recipe pairs well with savignon blanc or a good wheat beer.