Chicken Sausage With Roasted Onions & Peppers
This versatile recipe for Smart Chicken sausages is great on a bun, or served over quinoa or pasta.
- 1 package Smart Chicken fresh sausage links (about 5 sausage links)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1/8-inch strips
- 3 large bell peppers, cut into 1/8-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon aged balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves, or other herb of your choice
- Salt and pepper to taste
Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
In a bowl, toss together the onions, peppers, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, herbs, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
Coat the sausage links with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Place the sausage links on a sheet pan and bake 10 to 12 minutes. Flip the sausages over, add the onions and peppers mixture to the pan, and continue baking for another 10 minutes until the internal temperature of the sausage reads 165°F and the vegetables begin to caramelize.
Transfer the sausage links to a cutting board and cut into 1-inch slices. Toss the sausage slices, onions, and peppers together again and serve over quinoa or pasta.