Chicken Sausage Kabobs
Fast, simple, and tasty, this kabob recipe uses ingredients you may already have on hand to create a quick, healthy meal that your whole family will love.
- 1 package Smart Chicken fresh sausage links (about 5 sausage links)
- 2 cups Italian dressing
- 12 wooden skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- Bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces*
- Green zucchini, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Yellow summer squash, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Medium mushroom caps
Place the cut vegetables in boiling water for 1 to 2 minutes to precook. Remove vegetables from the boiling water and submerge in cold water to cool.
Place the sausage links in boiling water for 5 to 7 minutes to precook. Remove from water. When cool enough to handle, cut the cooked sausages into 1-inch slices.
Combine sausage pieces, vegetable pieces, and Italian dressing in nonmetal container. Stir to coat all ingredients. Cover and refrigerate 2 to 4 hours, stirring occasionally.
Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
Thread the sausage and vegetables onto wooden skewers and discard the marinade. Coat the hot grill grates with vegetable oil or spray. Grill the kabobs for about 3 minutes on each side or until internal temperature of the sausage reaches 165°F.
Arrange kabobs on serving platter. Garnish with salsa verde.
- Salsa Verde
- 1/2 cup Italian flat leaf parsley or chervil, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions, thinly sliced (or fresh chives for a milder salsa)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, mint, or tarragon, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup capers, rinsed and chopped
- 1/4 cup shallot, finely chopped
- Zest of 2 lemons, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup of good-quality olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 to 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
In a nonmetal bowl, mix together all ingredients except lemon juice. Salsa verde may be prepared several hours in advance. Keep at room temperature, adding lemon juice and adjusting salt and pepper prior to serving.
*Substitute any of your favorite vegetables in this recipe