Roasted Chicken Dinner
by Fred Muller, Chef , El Meze, Taos, New Mexico
- 2 whole Smart Chickens, cut into pieces (breast, leg, and thigh)
- 2 large fennel bulbs, each cut into 8 slices
- 24 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 lemons, cut in wedges
- 4 to 6 rosemary sprigs, stripped
- 1 cup olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 4 to 5 tablespoons smoked Spanish paprika
- 1 cup picholine olives with pits
- 1 cup petite nicoise olives with pits
- Preheat oven to 475°F.
In a large roasting pan, about 4 inches deep, toss first 10 ingredients. Arrange chicken pieces skin side up on top of vegetables. Add 2 cups chicken stock. Sprinkle chicken pieces with smoked Spanish paprika. Bake in oven 40-45 minutes, until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F.
Remove from oven and arrange olives in the pan and let them warm up.
Cut breast in half (crossways) and serve in a bowl with a leg and thigh, fennel, olives, garlic, lemon, and pan juices accompanied by rustic bread.
Pairing: This dish is versatile enough to lend itself to either a white or red wine. I recommend either a white albariño or a red granacha.