Grilled Pineapple & Corn Salsa
by Sally Hillis, R.D., Hillis & Company, Lincoln, Nebraska
Grilling the pineapple and corn adds a hint of caramel and smokiness to this summertime salsa. A grilled chicken breast garnished with this delicious salsa is delectable on a sultry day.
- 1 ear fresh corn, husked and cleaned of silk
- 1/2 ripe pineapple, peeled, cored, cut into spears
- 4 green onions (white and green parts), finely chopped
- 1 sweet red or orange bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 English cucumber, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 Roma tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (1 to 2 limes)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper or cayenne
Place the pineapple on a medium-high preheated grill, turning to mark on both sides. Cool and dice.
Place the corn on a medium-high preheated grill, turning until kernels are marked. Cool and cut from cob.
In large bowl, gently toss together pineapple, corn, onions, bell pepper, cucumber, tomatoes, and cilantro. Whisk lime juice, olive oil, rice vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper together in a separate bowl. Drizzle juice mixture over pineapple mixture and toss gently. Let stand for 15 to 30 minutes. Prior to serving, adjust seasoning with lime juice, salt, pepper, and sugar.