- 1 pound ground Smart Chicken
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds, lightly toasted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon finely diced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Salt and pepper
- Flour, for coating
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup Marsala wine
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup strong chicken stock
Combine chicken, cumin, coriander, fennel seeds, beaten egg, onion, garlic, parsley, honey, salt, and pepper.
Form into 2-ounce meatballs—this recipe should make about 10 meatballs. Let the meatballs rest and internally marinate in the refrigerator for at least three hours or overnight.
In a large pan, heat oil. Dust the meatballs with a little flour. Add to the pan, and brown on all sides. Once the meatballs are nicely browned, add mushrooms, Marsala, heavy cream, and strong chicken stock.
Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until sauce is reduced to smooth and creamy. Serve over buttered noodles, with rice, or as an hors d’oeuvre.
Pairing: These are light and very flavorful meatballs. The earthiness of the chicken combined with the richness of the sauce would go well with a Northern Italian wine like Dolcetto or perhaps a Valpolicella.