by Charles Hartz, Owner, Hartz Spice, Portland, Oregon
This ragù will taste even better the next day when flavors have melded together, and it freezes well, so it’s ideal for making ahead of time.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon minced garlic (about 5 cloves)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1¼ teaspoons black pepper
- 2¼ teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons whole fennel seeds
- 1 pound Smart Chicken Sweet Italian Sausage links, casings removed
- 2 pounds ground Smart Chicken
- ½ cup red wine
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 28-ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup water
In a 6-quart pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Sauté the garlic, onion, bell pepper, carrot, and celery until fragrant and softened, about 10 minutes. Add the basil, salt, pepper, and fennel seeds. Sauté for 1 minute. Add the sausage and break up with a spoon while cooking for 2 minutes. Add the ground chicken and continue to cook for another 8 minutes while breaking up any large pieces of ground chicken or sausage. Add the wine and parsley. Cook for 5 more minutes stirring often. Add the crushed tomatoes and the water. Simmer for 2 hours stirring often to prevent burning.
Serve over linguini pasta.
To kick this dish up a notch, top with sautéed peppers and onions, slices of roasted Smart Chicken Hot Italian Sausage, and feta cheese.
Pairing: Wine Pairing: Barolo