Mushroom & Chicken Stir Fry With Black Bean Sauce
by Johnny Loua, Chef, Seattle, Washington
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1½ pounds boneless skinless Smart Chicken breasts, diced
- 1 cup sweet onions, sliced thick
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped ginger
- 4 cups assorted mushrooms
- 1 cup black bean sauce*
- ½ cup chicken stock
- Black pepper
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- Rice or noodles for serving
- *Black bean sauce is a prepared condiment made primarily from fermented black soybeans. It is commonly used in stir frys and other Asian dishes, and can be found in the ethnic foods aisle or online.
In a large wok, heat the oil until it starts to smoke, then add diced chicken. Cook until the chicken is nicely browned, then add onion, garlic, and ginger. Sauté for a few minutes, then add mushrooms. Slowly add the black bean sauce, stirring the vegetables and chicken continuously. If it looks too dry, add a little chicken stock. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, and taste to make sure the vegetables are cooked through. Remove from heat, then add the cilantro. Serve over rice or noodles.