With fresh, tart summer berries, this crisp includes an unexpected twist of ginger for a brightness to match the season.
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 2 cups fresh blackberries
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 cups oats
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cut in small pieces
- ½ cup crystallized or candied ginger, minced*
- *Candied ginger can typically be found in the spice or produce aisle.
Preheat the oven to 350°F and butter a deep 9x13 inch pan.
In a medium bowl, combine berries with the flour and sugar and set aside. Place the flour, oats, sugars, salt, and butter pieces in a food processor and pulse until the butter is broken down into pea-sized pieces. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and mix in ginger by hand with a spoon or spatula.
Pour the berry mixture into the buttered pan. Using your hands, sprinkle topping over the fruit, but do not pat down. The unevenness will create more crunchiness.
Bake in the oven on a sheet pan to catch drips until golden brown and bubbling around the edges, about 40 minutes.
Allow to cool slightly and serve with ice cream or whipped cream.