Mediterranean Chicken Salad
by Russ Langstadt, Chef, Wine Country Cooking Studio, Dundee, Oregon
This recipe fits perfectly into any low-carb eating plan. It’s also low in fat, high in protein and fiber, and has little to no sugar.
- 1 pound Smart Chicken tenders
- 1 large rib celery, diced ¼ inch
- ½ cup red onion, diced ¼ inch
- ½ an English cucumber, diced ¼ inch
- ½ cup Kalamata olives, sliced
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- ½ cup jarred roasted red bell peppers, diced ¼ inch
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- ½ a lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 tablespoon capers, coarsely chopped
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, very finely minced
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, as needed
- Lettuce or lettuce cups, for serving
Preheat oven to 350°F. Season the chicken tenders with salt and pepper, and bake in the oven until fully cooked, about 30 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reads 165°F on a kitchen thermometer.
Allow the chicken to cool and then dice into ¼- to ½-inch pieces. Transfer to a large bowl. Add all remaining ingredients to the bowl and stir to combine. Let the salad rest for a bit and serve on a bed of green or in lettuce cups. This mixture can also be used to make sandwiches.