- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered (about 1 1/3 cups)
- 18 Calamata olives, halved (about 1/3 cup)
- 1/4 cup oil-marinated julienne sun-dried tomatoes, drained
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil (about 7 leaves)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 Smart Chicken European chicken breasts* or Smart Chicken boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Preheat an oven to 400°F.
In a bowl, combine first 9 ingredients. Mix well and set aside.
In a 10-inch sauté pan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over high heat. Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. When the pan is hot, add both chicken breasts skin side down and sear for 2 minutes. Flip the chicken over and place the sauté pan in the oven. After 5 minutes flip the chicken back to skin side down and continue roasting for another 10 minutes. Check the internal temperature of the chicken and if it is not 165°F, flip the chicken back over and continue to roast. Check the internal temperature every 5 minutes, flipping the chicken with each check.
Once the chicken is fully cooked (about 25 minutes), remove from pan and allow to rest. Drain off some of the liquid remaining in the pan, then place the pan over high heat. Add the reserved Mediterranean mixture to the pan and sauté for about 1 minute or until hot. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Spoon some of the Mediterranean mixture onto a platter, arrange chicken on top, and spoon remaining mixture on top of chicken.
Pairing: A nice, crisp chardonnay or an Oregon pinot noir (Chef Charles recommends Witness Tree pinot noir.
*European chicken breast is a skin-on boneless breast with the first joint of the wing attached.