Marinated Roast Chicken
by Ericka Burke, Chef, Volunteer Park Café, Seattle, Washington
- Whole Smart Chicken
- 1/2 sweet onion, roughly chopped
- 3 whole garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup roasted garlic puree (recipe follows)
- 1 bunch parsley, roughly chopped including stems (about 2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons chopped rosemary
- 2 tablsepoons chopped oregano
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 1 cup canola oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a food processor, combine all ingredients, except oil and chicken. Puree to make a paste. Pour paste into a mixing bowl, and whisk in oil. Season to taste.
Place chicken in a non-metal dish and massage marinade into chicken. Pour the remaining marinade in bottom of dish, cover and refrigerate. Every few hours apply more marinade to the chicken. Marinate 24 to 48 hours.
Roast chicken in a 350°F oven for about 1 hour and 30 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F.
- Roasted Garlic Puree
- 1/4 cup whole garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/4 cup canola oil
Preheat oven to 350°F
Place the garlic cloves in a small baking dish and cover with oil. Cover with foil. Roast in the oven for approximately 20 minutes, or until golden brown and soft.
Separate garlic cloves and oil. Cool. Once cooled, place roasted garlic cloves in food processor, and puree. Slowly add the canola oil and puree to emulsify. Store refrigerated.