- 3 cups fresh tomatoes—peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1/2 cup white wine
- Juice of 2 limes and 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- Optional: 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
In a saucepan, combine tomatoes, molasses, and white wine. Heat over medium-high heat until bubbling. Reduce heat and simmer on low for about 30 minutes, stirring often. Cool to room temperature; in a blender, combine the tomato mixture and all of the remaining ingredients and process until smooth.
Use half of the marinade to marinate the chicken pieces in a covered casserole dish in the refrigerator for an hour. Heat the remaining marinade (being sure that it hasn’t touched any raw chicken) and serve on the side with the grilled chicken.