Lighter Chicken A La King
by Amber Pankonin, Registered Dietitian, Beginning Well, Lincoln, Nebraska
To make classic Chicken a la King healthier, Registered Dietician Amber Pankonin replaces canned mushrooms with fresh and uses lighter versions of the milk and chicken stock. Eliminating cream cheese reduces calories from fat. To cut calories even further, substitute zucchini noodles or spaghetti squash for the egg noodles.
- 1 (12-ounce) package egg noodles, prepared according to package directions
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- ½ cup chopped white onion
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 (4-ounce) jar pimientos, drained
- 1 pound Smart Chicken tenders, poached and cubed*
- *To poach chicken tenders, cover with water and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Reduce heat and let simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 15 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat and sauté the mushrooms, green pepper, and onion. Cook until tender. Remove from heat and sprinkle flour over the sautéed vegetables until coated, and continue to cook for 1 to 2 more minutes.
Stir in milk and chicken stock and bring to a boil, stirring continually until slightly thickened. Add salt, pepper, pimientos, and poached Smart Chicken tenders. Serve over egg noodles.