Use the large asparagus spears if available. The large spears look great on your holiday table if the ends are peeled.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon (about 3 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 2 pounds asparagus, trimmed
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives (or substitute scallions)
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Combine olive oil, lemon juice, and vinegar in a bowl and stir to blend. Add asparagus and toss to coat.
Spread asparagus onto a rimmed baking sheet pan in one even layer and season with salt and pepper. Place in the oven and roast for 12 to 15 minutes, turning once until they are just tender, turn bright green, and still slightly crisp.
While the asparagus is roasting, place the butter in a sauté pan over medium high heat until the butter melts and is sizzling hot. Add the capers and swirl the pan or stir until the capers begin to pop open and the butter has a nutty aroma and turns slightly brown—be careful not to burn the butter. Remove from the heat.
Remove the asparagus from the oven and arrange on a platter. Pour the caper butter over the asparagus and sprinkle with chives. Serve warm.