Korean-Style Chicken Tacos
by Jewels & Jill Elmore, Acclaimed Private Chefs, Santa Monica, California
This dish was inspired by our dear friend, Darra, a private chef who has created a "Taco Tuesday" tradition for the family. It's a yummy twist on the traditional tacos we had growing up!
- 1 pound Smart Chicken tenders
- 4 cucumbers (preferably Persian), cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 daikon radish, sliced thin, then in strips (optional)
- 1 bunch black kale (sometimes called dinosaur kale or cavolo nero), stems removed and leaves thinly chopped
- 12 corn tortillas
- toasted sesame seeds for garnish (optional)
This vinegar sauce will be divided into 3 parts and used as a base for the marinade, BBQ sauce, and vinaigrette.
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons Siracha chili paste
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons regular soy sauce
- 2 cups unseasoned rice wine vinegar
- Quick Marinade/BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup vinegar sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup Siracha chili paste (or more, to taste)
- 1 cup regular soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sesame seed oil
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dry sake (optional)
- 1/4 cup vinegar sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
Make the vinegar sauce by combining all the listed ingredients. Remove 1 1/4 cups of the sauce and reserve. Pour the remaining sauce over the cucumber slices and daikon; refrigerate until ready to serve.
Make the marinade/BBQ sauce by whisking together all the listed ingredients in a bowl. Place the Smart Chicken tenders in a separate bowl and pour half of the marinade/BBQ sauce over them to coat. This will be your marinade.
Place the remaining marinade/BBQ Sauce in a saucepan on low heat and cook until reduced by half, about 20 to 30 minutes. This will be your BBQ sauce.
Make the vinaigrette by whisking together 1/4 cup of vinegar sauce and olive oil. Toss the black kale with a little of the vinaigrette to coat.
Preheat a grill, grill pan, or sauté pan to high heat, about 400°F.
Grill the marinated Smart Chicken tenders about 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F. Brush on some of the BBQ sauce toward the end of cooking.
Warm the tortillas by placing them on the grill for about one minute.
To assemble the tacos, top the warm tortillas with grilled chicken tenders, black kale in vinaigrette, fermented cucumber and daikon (drained), and a drizzle of BBQ sauce.