- For The Marinade:
- 1 cup tamari sauce*
- ½ cup mirin**
- ½ cup honey
- 6 scallions
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 tablespoons sesame oil
- 4 tablespoons white sesame seeds
- 2 pounds boneless skinless Smart Chicken thighs, cut into thin 1-inch strips
- Vegetable oil for cooking
- *Tamari is a type of Japanese soy sauce traditionally produced as a byproduct of miso paste. It can typically be found in the ethnic foods aisle, at your local Asian food market, or online.
- **Mirin is a kind of Japanese rice wine condiment similar to sake, though its alcohol content is lower and sugar content higher. Look for it on the ethnic foods aisle, at your local Asian market, or online.
Combine all marinade ingredients. Mix well with chicken and let marinate refrigerated overnight. Once marinated, remove from refrigerator and let rest at room temperature for 15 minutes to take the chill off. Heat oil in a sauté pan. Sauté chicken in batches until just cooked through, making sure to brown the chicken. Let chicken cool to warm.
- To Serve:
- Cucumber slices, lightly salted for 15 minutes, squeezed, and drained
- Butter lettuce leaves
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Nori, julienned
To serve, fill lettuce leaves with sautéed chicken; top with kimchee, cucumber slices, sesame seeds, and nori, and enjoy.