This tangy dish can generate leftovers that are easy to refrigerate or freeze, making it a prime candidate for tomorrow’s lunch.
- For The Sesame Chicken:
- 1 pound boneless skinless Smart Chicken thighs
- ½ cup sesame oil
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seed
- ¼ cup green onions, sliced
In a sealable container, combine the sesame oil, soy sauce, sesame seed, and green onions. Add the chicken thighs and marinate in the refrigerator overnight. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Remove the chicken from the marinade and transfer to baking dish or sheet pan. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until cooked through. Remove the chicken from the oven and set aside. When cool enough to handle, chop into bite-sized pieces.
- For The Rice Bowl:
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 cup cooked black rice
- ½ cup water chestnuts, sliced
- ½ cup bamboo shoots
- ½ shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons green onions, sliced
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
In a medium sauté pan, heat sesame oil, then toast the black rice for about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, shiitake mushrooms, corn, and green onions. Season well with salt and pepper. Add the chopped sesame chicken and drizzle with Honey Glaze (recipe follows).
- For The Honey Glaze:
- 1 cup soy sauce
- ½ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- Freshly cracked pepper, to taste
In a small saucepan, combine all ingredients and simmer until reduced by half.