The sweet chili, toasty macadamia nuts, and crunchy panko combine to give this dish that down-home Smart Chicken flavor you love, but with the added allure of the islands.
- 2 pounds Smart Chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup sweet chili sauce (or substitute honey or agave)
- Chicken Marinade
- 1/2 cup juice from a can of pineapple packed in natural juices (juice only; reserve pineapple for garnish)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons regular soy sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Juice from 1/2 lime (reserve other half)
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Devil Mixture
- 1 cup macadamia nuts, roasted and salted, finely chopped by hand or pulsed in a food processor
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- Large handful of chopped parsley
- 2 green onions (green part only), chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter and/or olive oil
Preheat the oven to 375°F.
Combine all of the ingredients for the marinade in a bowl and submerge the Smart Chicken thighs. Let the chicken marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 24 hours (refrigerated).
Combine all the ingredients for the devil mixture (except butter and oil) in a bowl. Heat the butter and/or olive oil in a pan over medium heat and add the devil mixture, "toasting" it just until golden and fragrant. Remove from heat. (The devil mixture can also be combined with melted butter and/or oil and placed on a sheet pan and toasted in the oven at 375°F for about 8 to 10 minutes, mixing and turning halfway through.)
Take the chicken out of the marinade and lightly pat dry with a paper towel. Place the chicken on a parchment-lined sheet pan, skin-side up, leaving a little space in between pieces. Brush a little sweet chili sauce on the top of each piece of chicken, then carefully spoon the devil mixture on top of each piece, packing it a bit to make it stick together. You can add a bit more melted butter on top, if your crumbs look dry.
Bake the chicken on the lower rack of the oven for about 15 minutes, then move it to the middle rack and cook for about 20 more minutes—total cooking time about 25 to 35 minutes. The internal temperature of the chicken should reach 165°F.
Remove from oven and squeeze the remaining 1/2 lime over the chicken before serving. Enjoy!