Smart Chicken Kabobs With Salsa Verde
by Sally Hillis, R.D., Hillis & Company, Lincoln, Nebraska
Fast, simple, and tasty, this kabob recipe uses ingredients you may already have on hand to create a quick, fun summer meal that your whole family will love.
- 1 pound Smart Chicken tenders
- 2 cups Italian dressing
- 2 bell peppers, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces*
- 1 green zucchini, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 yellow summer squash, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 red onion, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 8 medium mushroom caps
Place cut vegetables in boiling water for 1 to 2 minutes to precook. Place in strainer and run cold water over to cool. Combine Smart Chicken tenders, precooked vegetables, and Italian dressing in nonmetal container. Stir to coat all ingredients. Cover and refrigerate 2 to 4 hours, stirring occasionally.
Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Thread chicken and vegetables onto metal skewers and discard the marinade. Coat the hot grill with vegetable oil or spray. Grill 4 to 6 minutes on each side or until internal chicken temperature reaches 165°F on thermometer.
Arrange kabobs on serving platter. Garnish with Salsa Verde.
- Salsa Verde
- 3/4 cup Italian flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup green onions, thinly sliced (or fresh chives for a milder salsa)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, mint, or tarragon, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup capers, rinsed and chopped
- 1/4 cup shallot, finely chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup of good quality olive oil
- 2 anchovy fillets, rinsed and finely chopped (optional); salt and pepper to taste
- 2 to 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
In a nonmetal bowl, mix together all ingredients except lemon juice. Salsa Verde may be prepared several hours in advance. Keep at room temperature, adding lemon juice and adjusting salt and pepper prior to serving.
Pairing: A dry, crisp rosé would work well with this zesty dish, as its delicate flavor would complement rather than overpower the marinated chicken.
*Substitute any of your favorite vegetables in this recipe