Grilled Chicken & Avocado Sandwich
by Benjamin Maides, Chef, Au Courant Regional Kitchen, Omaha, Nebraska
- 4 Smart Chicken boneless skinless breasts, split lengthwise
- 8 fresh buns
- 3 avocados, pits and peels removed
- 4 limes, juiced
- 1 red onion, sliced into thin strips
- 1 tomato, sliced into 8 slices
- 1 head butter lettuce, leaves removed and reserved
- Canola oil, as needed
- Spice Rub
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
In a spice grinder or a clean coffee bean grinder, combine the rub ingredients and grind until smooth. Coat the chicken with a thin layer of canola oil and season liberally with spice rub. Let rest for at least 20 minutes or up to one hour. Grill the chicken until a thermometer registers 165°F when inserted into the thickest portion. Let the chicken rest at least 5 minutes before serving.
Meanwhile, prepare two separate bowls. Add the avocado to one bowl and the onions to the other. Add the juice of two of the limes, salt, and pepper to each bowl. Allow the onions to marinate in the lime juice. Smash the avocado and mix to combine.
Assemble sandwiches with avocado spread and top with grilled chicken, pickled onions, tomato slices, and lettuce.