This dish is a healthy twist on the classic ball field brat with sauerkraut. This version turns the overcooked kraut into a crispy salad. Serve with crusty 7-grain bread and your favorite spicy mustard or slice and serve over the salad.
- 1 pound Smart Chicken Fresh Bratwurst Sausage
- 8 ounce package slaw mix (cabbage & carrots)
- 5 ounce package shredded carrots
- 8 ounce package fresh Asian bean sprouts
- 1 ½ teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 fresh Serrano chili, minced (remove seeds and white membrane if you are spice sensitive)
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- ½ cup roughly chopped parsley
- ¾ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Fire up the grill or heat up a grill pan over medium heat. Cook sausages until nicely browned on all sides and cooked through (about 8-10 minutes).
While the sausages are cooking, toss together the remaining ingredients to make the raw kraut salad. Season to taste with additional salt, pepper, and vinegar as needed. Serve grilled sausage with salad, crusty bread, and mustard.
Pairing: A wheat beer plays off the fun German-beer-and-brats theme!