Green Beans With Bacon, Shallots & Feta Cheese
by Russ Langstadt, Chef, Wine Country Cooking Studio, Dundee, Oregon
- 2 pounds French green beans (or any thin fresh green bean), washed and trimmed
- 8 slices thick-cut bacon, cut in ½-inch strips
- 2 medium shallots, sliced thin
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 2 to 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Salt and pepper, as needed
Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a rapid boil. Add the beans to the water and cook uncovered until tender but not quite fully cooked. Remove them from the water and rinse with ice cold water to stop them cooking further.
In a large sauté pan, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove the bacon and drain on a paper towel.
To a clean sauté pan, add the olive oil, shallots, and garlic and cook over med-high heat until lightly translucent. Add the green beans and cook until tender and fully cooked.
Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle the feta cheese over the top and serve.