Gingered Chicken Burger
by Joey Elenterio, Chef, Cadence, San Francisco, California
Asian flavors pair perfectly with chicken for a fresh take on burgers!
- 2 boneless skinless Smart Chicken breasts, halved
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 (1-inch) cube fresh ginger, roughly chopped
- 3 scallions, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 8 sesame seed buns
- 2 cups shredded Napa cabbage
- 1 cup soy sauce mayonnaise*
- 2 jalapeños, sliced
- 2 carrots, julienned
- *To make soy sauce mayonnaise, combine ½ cup of mayonnaise with 2 teaspoons of soy sauce. Add a teaspoon of freshly-squeezed lemon juice for extra flavor.
Preheat oven to 400°F.
In the bowl of a food processor, combine the chicken, fish sauce, ginger, scallions, garlic, salt, and Tabasco and pulse until finely minced. Divide mixture into 8 equal portions. With wet hands, shape each piece into a ball and flatten into a burger. Place burgers on ungreased baking sheet and cook until golden and cooked through (about 12 minutes or until internal temperature registers 165°F. Serve on sesame seed buns with cabbage, mayonnaise, jalapeños, and carrots.
Pairing: Japanese whiskey highball