Five Spice Marinade
by Johnny Loua, Chef, Seattle, Washington
This simple but unique marinade is a hit on any chicken cut, but it works especially well with thighs.
- 2 tablespoons Chinese five spice powder
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ¼ cup chopped shiso, or substitute mint
- ½ cup sake
- 1 cup soy sauce
- ½ cup canola oil
- *Shiso is a leafy herb commonly used in Asian cooking. Look for it near the fresh herbs or at your local Asian grocer.
In mixing bowl, combine soy, sake, and sugar and mix until all the sugar is fully dissolved. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Pour over chicken and let marinate in the refrigerator for a few hours.