Crispy Chicken Tenders With Orange-Mustard Sauce
by Amy Fothergill, Chef & Cookbook Author, The Warm Kitchen, Half Moon Bay, California
The beauty of this dish is that it can be made with different ingredients. If you eat gluten-free, use a gluten-free flour blend and gluten-free corn flakes. Dairy-free? Use a milk substitute in the egg wash. No food restrictions? Use regular flour and corn flakes. Everything else stays the same.
- ½ cup all-purpose flour (or substitute a gluten-free flour blend without xanthan gum)
- ½ teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon milk (or milk substitute, plain and unsweetened)
- 2 cups corn flakes, crushed or ground in a processor
- 1 pound chicken tenders or boneless skinless breasts, cut into strips
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
In a shallow bowl, combine flour, salt, and pepper. Combine egg and milk in another shallow bowl and beat lightly. Place corn flake crumbs in another shallow bowl. To bread the chicken, first dip in flour mixture. Shake excess. Dip in egg and then corn flake crumbs. Transfer breaded chicken to a plate or tray until all chicken is coated.
To sauté: Place 1 tablespoon of oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add one piece of chicken to the oil. If chicken does not make a sizzle sound, let the pan heat up more. Add chicken pieces, being careful not to overcrowd the pan. Let the chicken brown, turning once, until cooked through. Remove to paper towels to absorb excess oil.
To bake: Preheat oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Once tenders are breaded, transfer to the baking sheet. For crispier tenders, drizzle with 2 to 3 teaspoons of olive or vegetable oil. Bake for 15 to18 minutes or until golden brown and crisp, turning once.
Serve with ketchup, honey mustard, or Orange-Mustard Sauce (recipe follows).
- Orange-Mustard Sauce
- Makes about ½ cup
- ½ cup orange marmalade
- 2 teaspoons stone-ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish or ½ teaspoon red wine vinegar
- A few dashes ground black pepper
- Dash of salt
Combine all ingredients and serve.