Creamed Greens With Lemon Zest & Grana
by Molly McCook, Chef, Ellerbe Fine Foods, Fort Worth, Texas
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, peeled and diced small
- 1 pound hearty greens, stems removed (such as collard, mustard, or turnip greens)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups cream
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 4 ounces grated grana padano cheese (or substitute Parmesan or Romano)
Wash and dry the greens thoroughly, then roughly chop them into approximately 2 inch pieces. Set aside.
In a medium pot, heat the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until they are translucent. Add the cleaned greens, salt and pepper. Cook down until the greens are completely wilted and all of the liquid is evaporated. Add the chicken broth and cook for approximately 3 minutes or until half of the liquid is evaporated. Sprinkle the flour over the greens and stir to incorporate. Slowly add the cream, one cup at a time, while continually stirring. Once the greens begin to bubble, add the lemon zest and cheese. Stir until the cheese is melted then remove from heat and serve.