Coffee-Rubbed Chicken With Pan Sauce
by Benjamin Maides, Chef, Au Courant Regional Kitchen, Omaha, Nebraska
Serves 2-4 as main course
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon ground coffee beans
- ½ teaspoons freshly ground black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon five spice*
- *Five spice, sometimes called Chinese five spice, is a seasoning blend common in Asian and Middle Eastern cuisines. Look for it in the spice aisle or online.
Combine in a spice or coffee grinder and pulse until smooth.
- Chicken & Pan Sauce
- 1 package Smart Chicken thin-sliced breasts, or boneless skinless Smart Chicken breasts, sliced on a bias into half-inch cutlets
- 2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1½ cups brewed coffee
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons butter
Toss the chicken with the rub and let rest at least ten minutes. In a large cast iron skillet, heat the canola oil and sear the chicken until golden brown and cooked through, then set aside. Deglaze the pan with the coffee, using the edge of a wooden spoon to scrape up and redistributed any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the brown sugar, vinegar, and butter and reduce the sauce until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Serve the gravy with the chicken or add the chicken back into the gravy to coat.