Classic Chicken Caesar Salad
by Ian Madan, South Creek Pizza Co., Reno, Nevada
Serves 2 as a main course; 4 to 6 as a side
- For The Chicken:
- 1 tablespoon brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 boneless skinless Smart Chicken breasts
Combine mustard, oil, black pepper, salt, and oregano. Massage marinade into chicken. Transfer the chicken to an oven-safe sheet pan covered with parchment paper. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken is 165°F.
- For The Salad:
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 5 cloves garlic
- 3 anchovy filets
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 egg yolks*
- 4 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 1½ teaspoons black pepper
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Hot sauce, such as Tabasco, to taste (optional)
- 3 to 4 romaine hearts, rinsed and chopped
In a food processor, combine mustard, garlic, and anchovies until very smooth. If needed, add a splash of olive oil to help the mixture blend. Once mixture is smooth, add 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice, egg yolks, Parmesan, and pepper. Pulse gently four or five times.
Turn the food processor on its lowest setting. While processor is spinning, very slowly add the olive oil and remaining lemon juice simultaneously (oil in one hand, lemon juice in the other). Time it so you run out of liquids in each hand at the same time; this will allow for a proper emulsification. Add salt and tabasco sauce to taste.
To serve: Cube the baked chicken. Drizzle desired amount of dressing on romaine, add chicken, and toss. Top with Parmesan cheese and additional anchovy filets, if desired.
Pairing: Silk Oak Chardonnay;
Off Color Brewing’s Yuzu Fierce Berliner Weisse