- 4 egg yolks
- ¾ cup (145 grams) sugar
- 2 cups (500 grams) heavy whipping cream
- 1½ cups (280 grams) melted dark chocolate or chocolate chips with 55% cocoa
- 2 cups berries (or other fruit of your choice)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sugar
- Drizzle of balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Crushed chocolate cookies, for serving
In a medium saucepan, whisk together egg yolks, sugar, and ¾ cup of the heavy cream. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring, until mixture coats the back of a spoon, 3 to 4 minutes (do not boil).The eggs should turn a pale yellow color. Remove from heat and strain into a bowl.
Meanwhile, whip the remaining heavy cream until soft peaks form. If you wish to flavor the chocolate mousse with orange zest or liquors, add to the cream while whipping; do not add more than ¼ cup of liquor.
Add the melted chocolate to the eggs and mix. Fold half of the whipped cream into the chocolate mixture. When it is all incorporated, gently fold in the remaining whipped cream. Refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.
Combine the berries and sugar in a bowl with the balsamic vinegar (optional) and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Serve the chocolate mousse over crushed chocolate cookies and topped with berries.