The simple sun-dried tomato sauce in this recipe comes together quickly, while the water for the pasta is boiling, for a quick and easy weeknight meal.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 boneless skinless Smart Chicken breasts, cut into ½-inch pieces
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil, drained, and finely chopped
- ¼ cup packed basil leaves, finely sliced
- ⅓ cup heavy cream (or substitute reserved pasta water)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound penne pasta (or substitute farfalle, rigatoni, or shells) cooked 3 minutes short of al dente, with some of the pasta water reserved
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese for garnish
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, pour in the oil, add the garlic, and swirl the pan for 20 seconds, until fragrant. Add the chicken and sauté until the chicken turns white on all sides.
Add the tomatoes, and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Add the basil and heavy cream (or pasta water), and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes. Taste for seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper. After draining the pasta, add it to the pan, and stir over medium heat, until the pasta begins to absorb some of the sauce. Add half of the cheese, and stir again.
Serve the pasta garnished with additional cheese, and basil if desired.