Chicken Sausage & Root Vegetable Stew
by Terri Rees, Culinary Instructor & Caterer
Nothing says winter like root vegetables and apple cider! This recipe brings them together in a warming, savory stew that’s perfect for the season.
- 12 ounces Smart Chicken Sweet Apple Sausage, cut on the bias into ½-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 rib celery, finely diced
- 1 medium carrot, finely diced
- 1 large rutabaga, peeled and cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 medium parsnips, woody center removed and cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 to 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- ¼ cup apple cider
- Extra-virgin olive oil, as needed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh herbs like thyme or oregano (optional)
In a large, 6-quart stock pot, swirl some extra-virgin olive oil add in the onion. Cook over medium heat until slightly transparent, then add in the celery and carrot. Cook until tender.
Add the Rutabaga, parsnips, sweet potatoes, and herbs. Cover with chicken stock, and cover the pan to bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until the vegetables are fork tender, about 10 to 12 minutes. Add in the diced tomatoes, apple cider, and the apple chicken sausage.
Bring back to a boil, then simmer for about 10 minutes, until heated through. Check for seasoning and adjust if needed. Ladle into bowls and serve with crusty bread.