Chicken Sausage Patty
by Lucia Watson, Chef , Lucia’s Restaurant, Minneapolis, Minn.
5 to 6 servings for breakfast
These tasty patties are great either for breakfast or as zesty appetizers. If serving for breakfast, top things off with a poached or fried egg; otherwise, go with a bit of a Mexican flavor.
- 1 1/2 pounds ground Smart Chicken
- 1 1/2 cups peeled, chopped onions
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt a few grinds fresh black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1/4 cup mixed chopped herbs: parsley, thyme, and rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients except olive oil. Take a small piece and make a tiny burger with it. Sauté over medium heat and taste for seasoning. Then adjust the seasoning of the entire batch, adding more salt, pepper, or herbs as desired. Shape all of the mixture into patties and griddle or sauté in olive oil, on each side, until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165° F. Serve on a toasted English muffin with a poached or fried egg on top. Alternatively, make tiny “burgers” and serve with a bit of salsa and some cilantro leaves on top. Skewer with a toothpick and serve as an appetizer.