Bite-sized hors d’oeuvres with a charming and elegant presentation, canapés are perfect for entertaining. This unique recipe pairs savory chicken salad with a bit of sweetness for a refreshing balance of flavors.
- Chicken Salad
- 1 whole Smart Chicken, poached and meat picked off the bones*
- 2 onions, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 ribs celery, diced small
- ¼ cup pecans, chopped
- ¼ cup grapes, halved
- 2 tablespoons Old Bay seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped
* To poach a whole chicken, prepare in a large stockpot, covering the whole chicken with water or chicken stock. Add any herbs, spices, or aromatic vegetables you may have on hand such as onion, garlic, carrots, celery, rosemary, bay leaf, parsley, or thyme. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 1 hour and 20 minutes. When chicken is cool enough to handle, pick meat from the bones. Reserve the stock for use in soups, risottos, or casseroles.
In a medium sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook for about 30 minutes, stirring frequently until onions are a deep golden brown color and caramelized. Set aside to cool.
In a bowl, mix all ingredients together. Spread Rhubarb Strawberry Jam (recipe follows) on a toast point and top with a dollop of chicken salad.
- Rhubarb Strawberry Jam
- 1 pound strawberries, cleaned and trimmed
- 1 pound rhubarb, peeled and roughly chopped
- ½ package powdered pectin*
- 2½ cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
*Powdered pectin is available at your local market or grocer and is typically sold in 1.75-ounce packets. This recipe requires only half that amount (approximately 2 tablespoons).
Combine all ingredients, except lemon juice, in a pot and simmer for 1 hour. Finish with lemon juice and chill.
- Toast Points
- 1 Baguette, sliced on the bias into ¼-inch pieces
- Oil to brush on bread
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Place baguette slices on a sheet pan. Brush each baguette with olive oil. Bake for 15 minutes until crisp and slightly colored.