- 1 pound ground Smart Chicken
- 1 egg
- ½ cup manchego cheese; finely grated (Parmesan can be substituted)
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 2 cloves garlic; minced
- ¼ cup onion; minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh cilantro; minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh mint; minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Romesco Sauce
- 2 dried pasilla chiles
- 2 dried ancho chiles
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic; minced
- 2 tablespoons smoked Spanish paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground New Mexico red chile
- 28-ounce can fired roasted tomatoes
- 16-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained
- 1 ½ cups vegetable stock
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Mix all ingredients together until evenly distributed. Form into 1-inch balls and place on lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake until lightly browned on top and golden brown on the bottoms (about 15 to 20 minutes).
Ladle Romesco Sauce in a single serving bowl. Add 4 to 6 meatballs. Garnish with grated manchego and chopped parsley. Serve with rustic bread and an herb mixed green salad.
Remove stems and seeds from dried chiles. Place on a cookie sheet and roast for 2 minutes in a 450°F oven. Place roasted chiles in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let chiles steep for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to keep them submerged. Drain and rinse peppers under cold running water and set aside.
Lightly sauté minced garlic in olive oil. Add paprika and chile powder to form a paste. Add the remaining ingredients including peppers and stir thoroughly. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a low medium heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Let cool. Puree in blender.
Pairing: Enjoy this hearty dish with a white wine such as torrontés, or a red wine such as tempranillo.