Smart Chicken Meatballs
by Sally Hillis, R.D., Hillis & Company, Lincoln, Nebraska
A tangy blend of spices lends an assertive flavor to this unusual—and unusually tasty—dish.
- 1 pound ground Smart Chicken
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon red hot pepper flakes
- 3 ounces bread crumbs or torn bread
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 small can fire-roasted tomatoes
Sauté the chopped onion in the olive oil. In a separate bowl, combine ground chicken, egg, tomato paste, mustard, and honey. Add milk,sautéed onion, and all remaining ingredients (except fire-roasted tomates), and mix well. Form into golf ball-sized meatballs and pour fire-roasted tomatoes over top. Bake at 350º for 15-20 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
Pairing: A syrah will go well with the fire-roasted tomatoes in this recipe.