Homemade sausage is quicker and easier than you might think. In this version, a healthy alternative to traditional pork and beef sausages, all-natural ground Smart Chicken is spiked with fresh pear and simply seasoned for perfect results every time.
- 3½ pounds ground Smart Chicken
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon thyme, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sage, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon fennel seed, ground
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes, ground
- 1 cup peeled and grated pears
- ¼ cup ice water
- ¼ cup pear liqueur (or substitute apple juice)
- 2 tablespoons honey
Mix together salt, herbs, ground fennel seed, and ground red pepper flakes and set aside.
Make a slurry by combining the pear, water, pear liqueur, honey, and salt mixture. Gently mix the chicken with the slurry just until all seasonings are evenly dispersed.
Heat a griddle or sauté pan over medium heat. Wet your hands with water and shape the chicken sausage mixture into patties. Sauté the patties in a little olive oil, on each side, until the sausage is cooked through.