- 8 large eggs
- 3 cups whole milk
- 4 green onions, sliced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon mustard powder
- 8 cups French bread, torn into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound Smart Chicken sweet Italian sausages, casings removed
- 4 sun-dried tomato halves, diced
- 8 asparagus spears, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups loosely packed grated Fontina cheese
Butter a 13-inch by 9-inch by 2-inch baking dish. In a large bowl, whisk together first 5 ingredients and set aside.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Crumble sausage into the skillet and sauté for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally and breaking up sausage.
When sausage is fully cooked, remove from heat and set aside.
Arrange half of the bread in the prepared dish. Sprinkle with half the cheese, then half the sausage, half the asparagus and half of the tomato.
Pour half of the egg mixture over. Repeat layering. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to overnight.
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Bake strata until puffed and golden brown, about 1 hour. Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.