Cheese-Stuffed Chicken Legs
- 8 boneless chicken legs or boneless chicken thighs
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup grated provolone or mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped basil
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped rosemary
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Kitchen twine
Preheat oven to 450°F.
In a bowl, mix together the bread crumbs, cheeses, herbs, lemon zest, garlic, and eggs.
Place the chicken legs skin-side down and season with salt and pepper. Place 2 to 3 tablespoons of cheese mixture in a line down the center of the chicken. Fold the sides of the chicken over the filling to enclose it. Using 2 or 3 pieces of kitchen twine, tie the string around the chicken leg to secure the stuffing.
Place the chicken legs on a baking sheet, skin side up, and season with salt and pepper. Bake for about 30 to 35 minutes, until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F.
Remove and discard the kitchen twine before serving.