Butter Lettuce Chicken Tacos
by Benjamin Maides, Chef, Au Courant Regional Kitchen, Omaha, Nebraska
- 1½ to 2 pounds boneless skinless Smart Chicken thighs, diced
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 poblano peppers, diced (or substitute Anaheim or jalapeño peppers)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 head butter lettuce
- Pickled red onion*, for serving
- Fresh cilantro, for serving
- Lime slices, for serving
- *Look for pickled red onions in the condiments aisle, or online. To quick pickle red onions at home, combine ½ cup apple cider vinegar with 1 tablespoon sugar, 1½ teaspoons kosher salt, and 1 thinly sliced red onion. Set rest at room temperature for one hour.
In a bowl, combine the diced chicken thighs with the oil, onion, poblano peppers, garlic, salt, and pepper. Marinate for at least 2 hours but no more than 24. To prepare, heat a large cast iron skillet over high heat. Add the chicken and marinade mixture and sauté until chicken is fully cooked and onions and chilies are nicely caramelized. Meanwhile, pull the butter lettuce leaves apart at the stem, leaving them as intact as possible. Wash the lettuce cups and pat or spin dry. To serve, fill each lettuce cup with the chicken mixture and top with pickled red onion and fresh cilantro. Serve a lime slice on the side.