Chicken Parmesan is a classic Italian dish that’s surprisingly easy to make at home. This recipe calls for just a few simple ingredients that you may already have on hand—a homemade meal is just minutes away.
- 1 pound Smart Chicken thin slice breasts or boneless skinless breasts*
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups Panko bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Marinara sauce, as needed
- Parmesan cheese, as needed
- Fresh basil, for garnish
- * Smart Chicken thin slice breasts work really well for this dish, but if you can’t get thin slice breasts, you can have your butcher run them once through the tenderizer. You can also pound them out at home. Place each chicken breast between two sheets of plastic wrap. Using a meat mallet, preferably with teeth, gently pound the top side of the chicken until breast starts to spread out. (Be careful not to split the meat.) Turn the chicken breast over and repeat until breast has about doubled in size.
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Lightly salt and pepper both sides of the chicken breasts.
Using 2 bowls, add panko crumbs to the first, and 2 eggs (beaten) to the second. Press the chicken into the bowl of panko and coat both sides. Then dip the chicken into the beaten egg to coat both sides, then back into the panko and coat again. Place chicken into a hot oiled skillet and brown lightly on both sides 1 to 2 minutes a side. Transfer chicken to a glass baking dish. Top chicken with marinara sauce and parmesan cheese and bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Garnish with fresh basil.
Pairing: A light to medium-bodied red wine, like a merlot or pinot noir goes well with this dish