- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1½ cups fresh pitted cherries (or substitute frozen cherries, thawed)
- ? cup dark brown sugar
- ? cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- ¼ cup molasses
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- ½ cup bourbon
- ½ teaspoon ancho chili powder
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ? teaspoon cayenne pepper
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer until slightly thickened, about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Using caution, transfer the sauce to a blender and puree. (Always use caution when blending hot liquids. Remove the center cap of the blender lid and place a towel over the hole before turning on the blender. The towel allows the steam to escape while blending.)
This sauce will keep for one week in the refrigerator or one year in a freezer.