Beer-Battered Chicken Tender Spinach Wraps
by Johnny Loua, Chef, Seattle, Washington
- 1 pound Smart Chicken tenders
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups beer*
- 1 tablespoon Frank’s Red Hot sauce
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1 cup flour
- 1 quart canola oil (for frying)
- ½ cup blue cheese dressing
- ½ cup sliced red onions
- 1 cup julienned cucumber
- 1 pound mixed greens
- 6 spinach tortillas, lightly warmed on the grill or a skillet
- *For a deeper, richer flavored batter, use a dark full-bodied beer, such as a porter. For a lighter, less prominent flavor, opt for a macro-brew light beer. Avoid hoppy beers that might leave a bitter aftertaste.
In a deep stock pot or frying pan, heat 1 quart of canola oil to about 350°F.
Season the tenders with salt and pepper. Combine eggs, beer, and hot sauce in a bowl and slowly whisk in the granulated garlic, baking powder, cornstarch, and flour. Dip each tender into the batter, then transfer to the hot oil. Fry, turning occasionally until cooked through and golden brown (about 5 to 7 minutes). Drain from oil and let rest on paper towels.
To assemble the wrap, pile the onions, cucumber, and mixed greens in the center of a tortilla. Top with chicken tenders and drizzle with blue cheese dressing. Roll tightly and cut in quarters. Secure each piece with a toothpick or small skewer and serve.